Monday, February 4, 2013

Happy Retirement!

After years of talking about it, my Dad has finally retired!   I have said for the last year that I would believe it when I see it.....well, I saw it!  Mom and I were able to attend his retirement reception last Thursday and I am so thankful that I was able to go.   Dad received many awards and gifts, but the words spoken by many of his colleagues were the highlight of the reception.  There was a common theme of professionalism and hard work that made me very proud of my dad!
We had a fabulous meal of fish, chicken, hush puppies, fries, and all the fixings (apparently, a Corp favorite).  This was the only picture I got of his cake and, of course, it's crooked! 
Mom even received an award and pin for her dedication and support of Dad....I had to laugh because I'm sure she's thought for years she deserved an award for that!
There was a great slide show with pictures and music ("Ring of Fire" was my favorite!)  highlighting Dad's military service, family, and Corps career. 
The only picture that we got of the three of us...
Brian posted this on facebook about my Dad and it's too good not to share.  He's always had a better way with words than me...

My Dad was 12 years old when he got his first job. He has spent the last 25 and a half years serving thousands of visitors at Lake DeGray, always with a warm smile and eager to visit. Today, my Dad hung up his Ranger hat and retired, after working for 54 years. Words can't properly express how proud I am of my Dad. He's one of the most generous, hard working men I have ever known. No, he IS the most generous, hard working man I have ever known. Faithful employee, wonderful husband, awesome father, and SUPER Pop! I hope I can impact half the number of people, and my own son, as you have me. Happy retirement Dad, you deserve it! Jamie, Braxton, Campbell, and myself love you very much!! Proud of you!!

P.S.- Not that you have free time, feel free to mow my yard anytime!
 
I don't think I could have said it better myself!!  Mark, Kam, Cooper, and I are super proud of you and your accomplishments!  We love you!
 
And in case anyone is worried about him being bored....we've already got him busy picking up kids after school this week.  I feel a little guilty about that....not sure he bargained for that right off the start but, as always, he's willing to do whatever to help me and the family.  Love you, Pop!

1 comment:

harris1013 said...

Love the picture! Great accomplishment...