Friday, March 30, 2012

Base Burners Softball

Kamdyn is playing machine pitch softball this year and they had their first game on Tuesday night.  Oh my goodness, I loved it! 
She has played t-ball and 6U softball (which is just like t-ball) but this is so different.  It's actually competitive and exciting!!!  About half of the team is older and played last year, so we have a little experience.  As Mark would say, they are a "salty little team!"  
We missed two practices during spring break so this was actually only the third time that Kam batted with the pitching machine.  She fouled it off a lot, but I was excited that she is making contact! 
She played left-center field and actually had some balls hit to her out there.  
Let the trash talking begin!!!  We played a double-header and some of the girls on the Malvern team are from Bismarck.  I noticed them over at our dugout during the game and got tickled because it so looked like there was some trash talk happening!
We won our first game and lost the second game, but we came from behind to tie it up.  It was very exciting and I had flashbacks to my softball days.  Of course, things are so different now and we never played with a machine or stole bases.  We pitched ourselves, but Mark is quick to remind me that I played slow-pitch back in the OLD days!  My softball days are still some of my best childhood memories!
Brian worked with Kam some over the weekend and I'll post those pictures later.  Kam was sure to tell her team that her Uncle coached "real softball girls" and they were quick to point out that they were real softball girls.  I think she meant to say "teenage girls."  
Kam loves the social aspect of any sport she plays.  She told me on Tuesday morning that they were going to practice their cheers during recess.  She can always be seen clowning with her teammates, jumping, doing the splits, shouting chants, etc. and this night was no different.  My brother got so tickled watching her!   Did anyone else notice that she's the smallest player on the team?
Cooper enjoyed the time at the ball field playing but I'm going to have to keep a closer eye on him.  He and Braxton wandered off and found a downed tree to play on...
I'm not sure if softball will be Kam's sport or not, but we are sure enjoying it right now!  I'm secretly hoping that she will love it as much as I do!  Go Base Burners!!!

No comments: