Thursday, March 8, 2012

Kam's PT Conference - Class Update

As I mentioned earlier, Kam's parent teacher conference was a few weeks ago.  Kam has had a fantastic year with her teacher and class and I cannot say enough good things about her teacher, Ms. Teague.  
Ms. Teague loves America and the flag and her classroom is completely decorated in Americana. 
She's also a big history buff and it has rubbed off on Kamdyn.  She told me that she always has one student that happens to and the whole class now refers to Kam as the "history buff."  She loves it!  She and Mark talk about presidents and the Civil War and all kinds of facts that I vaguely remember!  She loves for Mark to ask her questions to see if she knows the answers.  When she asks me, I normally just say "whatever you say" because I think she knows more than I do, especially about the presidents.  She is now begging us to take her to Washington, DC so she can see the Washington Monument and where Abraham Lincoln died.  Cooper and I sort of think we should just send her and Mark while we go to the beach!
For Veteran's Day, the kids made flag t-shirts to wear to the Veteran's Day Ceremony.  By the way, Kam now loves Veteran's Day and says it's one of her favorite holidays now.....makes her Pop proud!
Ms. Teague recently sent me all these pictures of Kam and her class and it thrills me.  She told me the first night at open house that she loves pictures and she knows I do too and that she knows "they mean as much to me as they do her." 

Posing with Dara in their super cool American hats, courtesy of Ms. Teague...
I'm pretty sure that Kam begged to be able to get up into this helicopter...
Ms. Teague bragged about Kam's reading skills and we were proud that she is reading on a third grade reading level.   I know I've mentioned how competitive she and Mark are with this.... we get an email every day telling us when she's read a book and Mark keeps up with her points.  He asks her almost every day if she has gotten announced (it's not official until the counselor calls it over the intercom!). 
It's really become a competition between Mark and Dane's mom, Dedee....to the point of us texting each other when one kid gets in another club.   Kam and Mark say they "can't let the Stephenson's beat us!" and the Stephenson's say, "you can't let a girl beat you!"  We've had fun with it and I truly believe it has motivated both kids to read more.  As a matter of fact, Cooper told us when we were leaving the conference/K-registration that he wanted to "verse Malachi" when he got in school.  Malachi is Dane's little brother. 

One of her rewards for the AR club was having a pizza lunch with her teacher...
Getting into the 100 point AR club was a super big deal at our house!  I think Mark has forgotten his promise to match Kam dollar for point and she's forgotten to milk him for all that it's worth! 
Her class has been a lot of fun.  At Christmas, one of the Dad's set up a Christmas tree in the classroom with the lights set to music.  Ms. Teague said that they "made memories" with that tree during those cold recesses when they couldn't go outside.
Kam and me at the Christmas party...
So thankful for Kam's teacher and classmates this year!  They have truly been a blessing.  I'm looking forward to what the rest of the semester brings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have a beautiful, smart niece! Proud of her!

Bub