Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Bucket Fillers

The kids school is focusing on the theme "bucket fillers" this year based on this book about teaching kids to express kindness and love in their actions.  They have t-shirts they wear every week and each class has a notebook that is sent home with a child every weekend to complete a family bucket-filling project. 
Kamdyn was the first one in her class to bring home the notebook so I really felt the pressure to make our project something good.  We decided to take toys and clothes to donate to the women's shelter in town.  Kamdyn has a heart for shelters so I thought it would be a good one for her.  She helped get everything together and load in the car and my job was to deliver it.  I'm embarrassed to say it's still in my car, but I will get it delivered eventually!  I'm a bad mom, I know!

Our other project was to make cards to send to some of the older adults in our church who are undergoing cancer treatments now.  We didn't have many art supplies on hand so I just let Kam do whatever she wanted.  She wrote this note to Ms. Evelyn...it makes me smile every time I read it. 
She sent this note to Mr. Dewey, who is one of the finest men I know....
Both these people told me how much Kam's cards meant to them and I've even heard others mention how sweet it was.   It made me realize that I need to be more intentional in taking time to send notes, cards, etc. to those who need encouragement or just need to know that someone is praying for them.  

Cooper had to get in on the card making too.  He made this card for Braxton and he even included a dollar bill for his best cousin.  Don't ask me why, but he tries to give money to everyone.  We took the card to Brax's mailbox and I think he loved it!
On the flip side, the book also discusses "bucket dippers" and I'm afraid that more often than not, we fall into that category.  It's something we can work on with the kids and help them to recognize now. 

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."     
-1 Thessalonians 5:11

1 comment:

harris1013 said...

Wow! What an amazin idea...So proud of the kiddos...I love their sweet hearts.