Monday, July 19, 2010

Swim Lessons

The kids took swimming lessons the last two weeks in June and had a blast! This year's lessons were much more successful than last year!!! If you recall, Kamdyn quit after two lessons last year when the instructor made her go under water. Earlier this summer; however, we were at the lake and Kenzie worked with Kam and got her to go under. She's been a little water bug ever since then!

Cooper, on the other hand, was a little skiddish this year in the water at the beginning of the summer. The lessons have helped tremendously with that.
Kam learning to dive.... I'm not sure why they were teaching her to dive when she still hasn't mastered swimming but, whatever. I missed her last two lessons for a trip and when I came home she had totally learned to dive. I was impressed!
After the first day, Kam told me she wanted to jump off the high dive the next day. I thought, "ok, we'll see how you feel tomorrow," but she totally did it the next day with no fear whatsoever. Mark asked me if she hesitated at the top before jumping but she didn't at all. She looked over at me, waved, and jumped. She loved it! I was pretty proud because my little "fraidy cat" wouldn't even jump off the side of the pool at the beginning of the summer. What a difference two weeks can make!
This is major progress for Cooper.... he's on his own with a noodle. No teacher or life jacket. Really proud of him too!
Jumping off the low dive....
A quick pic before climbing the steps to the high dive...
It never occurred to me to be nervous about her jumping off the high dive until another parent told me a story about someone slipping off the high dive several years back. I really wish she hadn't told me that story, but I just kept reminding Kam not to run at the top and to be careful.
So proud of both kiddos and the great progress they made this summer!!

No comments: