Monday, July 20, 2009

Airport Drama

About 3 weeks ago, I had to go to Washington, DC, for a work training. I was very apprehensive about going because I had to go alone. We went to Heber for the weekend to visit and Mark and the kids were going to drop me off at the airport on Sunday morning on the way home. I thought it would be fun for the kids to come in and see me off (at least to the escalator since that is as far as anyone not flying can go now). The kids loved the airport when we took Mark a few months ago and it would give me more time to spend with them before I left.

While I was standing in line to print my boarding pass, I heard familiar crying, so I turned around to see Kam sobbing in Mark's arms. She kept saying, "what have I done? what have I done?" This is not the airport scene I imagined.... So I got checked in as soon as I could and headed over to grab my baby and soothe her the best I could.


By the time I got her, she was sobbing, "this is terrible!" over and over. So, of course, I was crying by this time. My baby didn't want me to leave and I felt awful for leaving her. Cooper was oblivious to the whole thing, which is good, because I coudldn't have handled two sobbing babies at the same time.

As I was trying to console Kam, I looked over at Mark who was just shaking his head and mumbling, "you two are such drama queens." What??? I didn't start this scene but how else was I supposed to act when my child was acting this way. I reminded him that he would have reacted the same way had she done this when he went away several months ago.

Several more minutes of drama ensued before I finally had to leave to go up the escalator to security. I waved like an idiot as I rode up with tears in my eyes thinking how traumatized my child was and how it was just going to be the longest week for both of us.

About 5 minutes later, my cell phone rang. I thought sure it was Kamdyn calling to talk to me again. Nah... It was Mark calling to tell me that she was fine as soon as they got in the car and that she actually told him she was glad I was going on a trip. I think he made that last part up, but I was glad she was alright. We both survived the week. I made it home Wednesday night as promised (barely!)...

No comments: