Thursday, July 30, 2009

Swimming Lessons

We began swimming lessons on Monday night. Another crazy hectic week for us.... why do I do these things? Mark says that I have the kids too "over scheduled" lately... but I've got one more week of work and then we'll be off for 2 1/2 weeks. I can't wait! I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow, but I know that's probably not gonna happen either... if the kids sleep til 8:00 it will be awesome! And what am I going to do when I have to go back to working Fridays when school starts in late August????

So back to the swimming lessons.... We decided to sign Cooper up and see how he did on the first night and go from there... He's been pretty skittish around the water, but he is loving him some swim lessons now! My main goal was just to get him more comfortable in the water and I think we've definitely accomplished that. We've got one more week to go so we'll see how he is doing next week.

His teacher, Mr. Vallery, is trying to get him to go under in this pic, I think.... he didn't like that.
Here he is kicking and swimming to his teacher. A week ago he wouldn't have done this... he would get in the water only if Mark or I were in there with him. So he's not jumping off the diving board yet but he's definitely improved!
So I know you're wondering where Kam is in all the pictures?????? After all, she is the one who was so excited to take swimming lessons and wants to swim 24/7 (as long as she doesn't go under!)....

She did ok the first two nights until Mr. Vallery mentioned going under... then she got out of the pool and ran over to the bleachers and wouldn't leave my side. Then on Wednesday when I got there (Mom had to take them b/c I was at tech camp) she was hanging on to our computer guy at HSU, who she's never met before last night. She crawled all over every Mom in the bleachers giving a running commentary the whole time about not wanting to go under, etc. and "Mr. Vallery looking over at her." The child is not scared of any stranger, but is afraid to go under water. Go figure!

This routine started out funny but I was furious with her by the time we left. I told Mark that he could take her back tonight because I wasn't going to!!! So tonight she didn't want to swim so we didn't even make her get dressed. After some more commentary, she left with Mom to go meet Pop to eat.

We'll see how next week goes.... I think I wasted my money on her lessons!

No comments: