Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Pumpkin Patch Parable

Mom got the kids this book, "The Pumpkin Patch Parable," a few weeks ago and I love it. I have seen this story on email before, but I'm so excited to have it to read to the kids.

This story illustrates how a loving farmer can turn a simple pumpkin into a simply glorious sight. If you think about it, pumpkins are all different. Some are short and round, some are tall and lean, some have lumps and bumps, but all are pumpkins. We are God's pumpkins. We are all different. And just as the farmer chooses a pumpkin and cleans out all the seeds and slimy pulp, God does the same for us. When we trust Him as our Savior, He cleans out all the old and makes us something wonderful.

My prayer is that you have let Him make you new. If you have, share His love with others. If you haven't, let's talk. It's really simple.

Admit you are a sinner. Sometimes I get the big head and tell myself that I'm a good person, but then I'm gently reminded that I'm not. I try to do good things, but at my very core, I am a sinner. And so are you.... no way around it.

"For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23

Believe that only Jesus can save you. You can't save yourself and no one else can do it for you. Only Jesus, the Son of God, can save you. He suffered and died on the cross, was buried, and rose again for you and me.

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." Acts 4:12

Confess and call upon Jesus Christ to save you. It's not enough to just believe a man named Jesus lived on earth and died on a cross. We must trust in and rely upon his death, burial, and resurrection as the payment for our sins.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Romans 10:9

"For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

And, finally, this verse is becoming one of my favorites:

"God is being patient with you. He does not want anyone to be lost. He wants everyone to change his heart and life." 2 Peter 3:9

I'm so glad that God is patient because 99% of the time, I'm a screwed-up mess. But God doesn't give up on me, and He won't give up on you either.

3 comments:

harris1013 said...

WOW!!! GREAT POST!!!! WHERE DID SHE GET THE BOOK?

Sherri Smith said...

Blessed me right here in my living room, Rob! Thanks!! Love you and am so thankful to have you as my friend.

Wendy said...

wonderful post!
-Wendy