Thursday, February 19, 2009

I Fought the Law and the Law Won!!!

"Talent Search, this is Robyn."

"Robyn, this is JC. Did you get a speeding ticket?"

"Yeah, I did. I'm going down to the police station to pay it at lunch today."

"Well, I'm at the courthouse and they just called your name and issued a warrant for you because you weren't here. I'd come on down here and straighten this out if I were you."

This is the call that I got from the HSU Chief of Police yesterday morning. Ok, so it's no secret that I got a ticket a few weeks ago. I knew the ticket had to be paid by yesterday and I briefly wondered if it had to be paid before that 10:00 a.m. court time. I had no intentions of going to court... I was speeding so I just wanted to pay it and be done. Guess I should have read the fine print... no lectures, mom, on that. Lesson learned!!

So I run down to the courthouse and sit in court for about 45 minutes, which proved to be an interesting experience. I saw a student of mine, someone from church (who didn't see me!), and two friends of my parents. I was the very last person because I missed my name the first time. The judge was very nice and asked me if I was a student, which made my day. Then later I realized that he probably meant a non-traditional student and I shouldn't have been so flattered after all.

I told him that I meant to pay the ticket, he asked me if I wanted to do defensive driving (I said no to this!) and then he asked me if I could pay the ticket today. Apparently, they will make payment arrangements with you if you can't. Who knew?!

On my way out, a certain police officer from our hometown (who was sitting in for the chief) that I barely know, stopped me and told me that I should have had my parents call him to help... Honestly, I was not trying to get out of the ticket. I told him thanks, but I was speeding and just wanted to pay it. But I have filed that information away for future reference!

All in all, it was an exciting morning!!! I owe JC big time for giving me a call... otherwise Kam would have been right and that officer would have taken me to jail!

2 comments:

Jamie Martin said...

you should have went to defensive driving, your ticket wouldve been cheaper and it would have stayed off ur record and insurance.

Sherri Smith said...

LOL!! This story just keeps getting funnier!!! :)