Friday, February 6, 2009

Saving for a Sunny Day

My Aunt Sharron called me from Mobile, Alabama yesterday and totally made my day! She's been living there since fall so we don't get to see her very often. We miss you, by the way! She's been reading my blog and keeping up with us through it. I'm very jealous because she is so near the ocean and just got back from a trip to the beach (and outlet mall!) in Gulf Shores, which reminded me of something that Kam said last week.

When we were driving home last week, Kam asked me out of the blue if I remembered us going to the beach with Bubby, JJ, Braxton, Mimi, and Pop. We talked about how fun it was and I told her that I didn't know if we were going back this year or not. Of course, she wanted to know why and I thought this was a perfect opportunity to give her a lesson on the economy and how we can't always get eveything we want so I replied, "we might not have enough money to go this year."

Her reply... "but, Mommy, I have an idea! I have some money in my piggy bank... so we can go to the beach! OK?" It's a done deal then...

So one morning this week she finds some change on the table and runs to tell me she needs to put it in her piggy bank for the beach. I had totally forgotten that conversation, but apparently she hasn't!

This week we've been listening to a CD of Sunday School songs on the way to school. Kam loves it and keeps asking me to play the "Father Neighborhood" (Abraham) song.... Cooper's even learned the motions that go with it. I snapped this picture of him moving his arms frantically to it: This morning started out so well... I got up on time, no major fits or tantrums from the kids (or Mark), everyone cooperated. I was even able to get this picture of the kids together (which rarely happens!) as we were getting into the car. Normally, someone's pulling hair or sticking their finger in their nose. They are cute though, aren't they?
We're driving down Walnut Street jamming to our Sunday School songs when I see the police officer in front of the school turn on his lights. I assumed he got a call and had to go but he followed me instead. I'm sure I was speeding but, honestly, I don't think I was doing the 15 miles over that he says I was doing...

So I told Kam that Mommy was speeding and that's why the officer had stopped us. While he was running my license Kam says, "Mommy, I'm sorry you were going fast." Not as sorry as I am, I thought to myself, but I assured her that it was my fault. Then she says, "he's not going to throw you in jail, is he?" I have no idea where she learned that, but I hope she didn't go to school this morning talking about Mommy, the police officer, and jail.

The officer was so gracious in that he reduced my ticket so I don't get the "reckless" driving charge and my insurance company won't "frown on it," he says. Honestly! Appreciate ya, officer!

3 comments:

harris1013 said...

HEY! WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE CD? I WANT TO GET IT FOR PARK...I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE BEACH YESTERDAY AND HOW WE PROBABLY WOULDN'T DO A VACATION THIS YEAR. I AM VERY SAD!
BTW, I WON'T TELL THE POWERS THAT BE ABOUT THE TICKET! LOL!!!

Sherri Smith said...

Darn that officer...maybe Kam will pay that ticket for you!! Don't you hate that!! ;)

Jamie Martin said...

Aidan wants a motocycle and i told him we didnt have enouph money and he said the same stuff about the 6 dollars and some change he had in his wallet to buy one. We are sad we cant be at all the family events , we wish Aidan was able to play with all the kids all the time, he loves it when were there. Love you guys and Happy late b-day.