Thursday, September 22, 2011

South Africa Soccer

I love it when I can make Mark eat his words.  I recall hearing him say years ago when Kam was a toddler that his kids would never play soccer.  "It's un-American!" he would say.  
Kam has wanted to play forever and we always miss it because we know nothing about soccer--not even when the season is!!  But this year we made it and even Mark thought it would be great for her and encouraged her to play!   

This is her friend Broc, who went to Mae's during her first year of preschool.  She says she remembers him and I think he recognized her when they saw each other the first practice.
Kam is one of only two girls on her team but it doesn't seem to bother her at all....
As I said, I know nothing about soccer and wasn't even sure how to cheer.  I just yelled "run" and "kick it" and that seemed appropriate.  I did have a hard time knowing which goal was ours most of the time.  Maybe I'll get better and actually learn the rules before the season is over. 
She was actually more aggressive than I thought she would be!
There are eight kids on the team so they split time equally.  Kam had a good time when she wasn't playing as you can tell.  I'm pretty sure I saw her spit one time with these boys, but I think I tried to forget that....
The team we played was pretty experienced and the kid to the left had to be closer to eight than the rest of our kids.  He towered over everyone!
During halftime, I asked Kam what she was telling her coach and she told me that she was giving her some "techniques and ideas" that her daddy had taught her!  Doesn't the coach look thrilled?
Best of all, Kam kicked a goal at the end of the game!  Mark said the referee had just blown the whistle but she kicked it and made it!  Of course, I missed it!!  It was a joke in t-ball about Cooper getting a hit every time I wasn't looking so I guess the same will go for Kam and soccer.

And, for the record, Kam loves her uniform and colors.....we had war over those black shin guard socks because she wanted pink instead, which I ended up buying anyway.  Imagine Kam having an opinion on that!!  Surprising, I know!  Go South Africa!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you meant she kicked a "goal." Although her kicking the goalie would be awesome too!Can't wait to see her play!
Bub

The Chastain's said...

I wondered about that...I told you I knew nothing about soccer!