Thursday, August 20, 2009

What Was I Thinking????

The kids and I stayed home today and anyone who knows me, knows that I start going stir crazy about lunch time. Usually when I'm off Mark accuses me of running the kids ragged so I've tried hard to just stay at home and relax...

So I got the bright idea that we could make homemade playdough, except we didn't have all the ingredients. No problem... we went to Mimi's and raided her cabinets. I doubt she'll be missing cornstarch and baking soda anytime soon but, by the way, Mom... we borrowed some things from you. Hope you don't mind.

This project started out good. There was enough to do for each kid to take a turn doing something, which is very important for a 2 and 4 year old.

This is where the project went south... I decided that the playdough had to be different colors so I got out the food coloring (another thing we borrowed, Mom).... Did you know that food coloring stains your hands? Try getting a 2--oops-- 3 and 4 year old to not want to "put some color" on the dough.
Kam was pretty good with this. She kept saying she was making "buttercream roses." I have no idea where she got that. We used cups to cut out shapes because I don't own any cookie cutters... and I couldn't find Mom's when I raided her kitchen. I did look. Who needs cookie cutters in the age of slice and bake cookies?
I think I lost my cool towards the end of this project and yelled louder than I should have. I can admit that. Cooper began throwing the playdough and he quickly went to his room for a nap.

Kam, or my "good helper" as she likes to be called, helped me clean up the mess. And what a mess it was. All that work and I think they played for about 10 minutes with the dough once we finished it. I did bag it and put it in the refrigerator to play with later, but it's a safe bet we will never attempt this project again!!!

No comments: