Friday, December 4, 2009

So Much To Be Thankful For...

This is one of those posts where I wish that I had pictures to document the week. I did take a few at Thanksgiving but they are on Mom's camera and not with me here. So I'll just post those later...

We had such a great Thanksgiving week!! The kids were off all week and really enjoyed being at home. Mark took off on Monday and Tuesday to stay with them and I was off the rest of the week. Although I haven't talked about it on here, Mark has been knee deep in a work project that has kept him away from home a lot the last 10 weeks. I dreaded the project because I knew that I would be a single parent for a while (selfish, I know!) but I never dreamed that it would affect the kids the way that it did. They missed their daddy and I now have a new respect for single and divorced parents and children! So I said all that to say that it was nice for the four of us to spend some quality bonding time together.

On Tuesday, we decided to go 4-wheeling. The kids idea, not mine. My plan was to go to the toy store and let them give me some ideas for Christmas but they decided they would rather ride. So we took off for a pretty chilly afternoon ride and went exploring on Jack Mountain. We actually came upon an area that had some pretty poor living conditions, which made me extremely grateful for what I have and caused me to pause to count my blessings again. I don't think I can do this enough!!

You see, we ride around looking at land because we really want to build a bigger "dream" house soon and I've recently come to the place where I've decided that I will be fine if I never get to do that. Isn't there a scripture about being content in whatever circumstance??? Seeing the poor living conditions made me ashamed that I wanted more when I should be extremely grateful for what I do have because so many don't even have that!!

On Wednesday night we went to Mamaw and Papaw's to have dinner with the cousins. I told Mark that I think we had one of the most enjoyable visits we've ever had. Yes, it was crazy, crowded, and chaotic! All Efird get together's are... how can they not be with 13 kids running around (and 2 more on the way in just a few weeks!)? But we love it and wouldn't change it for anything. I have come to realize in the past few years that not everyone has the bond and closeness with their cousins and immediate families the way that we do and it's another thing I'm thankful for this year!

I also thought a lot about my Mamaw Leota this past week. The holidays at the Nivens have not been the same without her. I have a picture of me and her at my wedding that I would love to scan to put here right now but, of course, my scanner's broken and the pic is at home. Mamaw made the best dressing that I've ever eaten. Mark will attest to that.... she always told Mark that she was going to get better so she could make him some dressing again. My Aunt Sharron watched Mamaw make it for years and does as good a job and she carried on that tradition when Mamaw couldn't make it anymore.

For the first time (other than when Kam was born), we ate at Mom's house on Thanksgiving Day. Aunt Pat is not well right now and wasn't feeling up to coming so it was just us and Sharron and Dennis. Please pray for my Aunt Pat as she begins her chemo treatments. She had her first round this week and she tolerated it well. Our prayer is that the chemo will do it's job to treat the lymphoma and she will have minimal side effects.

Although we didn't have Thanksgiving with Mark's family this year, I am extremely grateful for them as well!! We did get to see Papaw Sonny a few weeks ago and we look forward to spending Christmas with them soon.

Whew!!! This post turned into much more than I intended for it to..... but I just couldn't stop the words. I think there is a verse in Ephesians that says something like "God is able to do immeasurably more than we ever hoped for." That's how I feel... my life is more blessed than I could ever hope for! Thank you, God!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it was Paul that said that
about God being able to do so much more than we hoped for. I am so blessed to have all of you'll as my family.
I love each and every one of you!!
Sharron

harris1013 said...

WE HOPE THE KIDS CAN GET TOGETHER SOON. WE DON'T SEE EACH OTHER ENOUGH! SOMETIMES I FEEL SINCE AUNT LINDA IS GONE THAT WE DON'T SEE OUR COUSINS AS MUCH...WE MISS YOU GUYS. YOU ARE ALL SO SPECIAL TO ME!!!